Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Daring Bakers' Challenge: Traditional British Pudding - Spotted Dick

The April 2010 Daring Bakers' Challenge was hosted by Esther of The Lilac Kitchen. She challenged everyone to make a traditional British pudding, using, if possible a very traditional British ingredient: suet.
...and this is what turned out! ^_^

I decided to go for a traditional English spotted dick, though in a not so traditional shape. It actually turned out very very pretty, though in all seriousness, I don't think I would go out of my way to bake this again. It wasn't bad and I actually had a british friend to come over and have a taste and according to him, this one actually beats most of the ones you'll find in England by miles. 
I'm not yet convinced. 
The warm custard did improve this pudding a lot in my opinion. 
Here are more pictures of the event...
...take a look at the inside.

I will post all the recipe's details this weekend, for all of you out there brave enough!
Ps: Dear Daring Baker's staff, this is my first try at a DB's challenge and just realized I was one day late... oups. 


EDIT:
As many of you pointed out, I have yet to post the recipe for my spotted dick and well, this is embarrassing in two ways. First, I wish this tasted as good as it looked, which it didn't, except for the yummy custard (whose recipe was published in another post). Second, the recipe wasn't altogether mine and now that I'm looking back to find it's author, it seems to have vanished from the web. So I'm stuck with a beautiful pudding, albeit not so tasty and no one to give credit for (though I'm not sure if I would be doing it a favor). My deepest apologies, I hope to be back soon with the recipe!

14 comments:

  1. Hey, better late than posting too early, so no harm, no foul! Congratulations on completing your first daring bakers challenge, and for doing such a beautiful job with it! Your pudding is so cute, and the custard looks perfect on it. Great job and welcome to the daring kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks so pretty with the warm custard dripping down over the cake! I too made spotted dick (how can you not with a name like that, you just have to be able to say you've made it at some point). Nice job on completing your first challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the Kitchen! Your pudding looks adorable, and that custard looks yummy! I hope youhad fun with this challenge, and that you enjoy the fun and silliness that ensues each month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't resist the name either! Interesting history and I had fun learning and incorporating some English slang in my post. Mine was a variation, aka Spotless Dick. Better late than never, and I think you did an outstanding job. Also, agree the custard is a necessity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your spotted dick is superb and is perfect the texture is so light and moist. Wonderful colour and flavour great work on this challenge.

    Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pudding looks fantastic with that custard sauce! Great job!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alex, not only it came out beautiful, I was lucky enough to taste it as well !

    It was as delicious as it looked.

    Being more British than anything else and after spending a third of my life in the UK. I had many chances to eat this traditional British pudding.. I can assure you that you have overtopped many good British chef !

    Well done !

    Yaron.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pictures look wonderful, and the pudding real yummy! Welcome to the Daring Bakers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - great job on your first challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!! This pudding looks so wonderful! I can taste it right now!!! Great photos!!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow the pictures are simply beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Missing your posts! :( Hope all is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos, my mouth is watering. Looking forward to the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks incredible!and love the shot of the custard dripping down the side of the pudding. So the Suet!!! : )

    ReplyDelete